Thursday, July 21, 2011

Big Fish in a Small Pond

When I interviewed for my job, a member of the board asked me if I thought this position was perhaps a step backward on my career path.  Since I was well on my way to being Supreme Ruler of the Universe, I had to be honest.  I was looking forward to being a big fish in a small pond.  But in the past three weeks, I've learned I am more a guppy, and less baracuda.  At least I have learned that my pond most closely resembles a fish bowl.  

To prove my point and ruffle my feathers (or bloat my gils?):
  • The news of my hire made the front page of the Nashville newspaper's real estate section.  Above the fold.  Color picture.  Thankfully, not google-able. 
  • Every meeting from Chamber of Commerce to the County Commission begins with a prayer and the pledge of allegiance.  Welcome to the buckle of the bible belt!
  • My second week of work, I worked a twelve hour day.  That never once happened in my seven years in Washington.
  • Following my first committee meeting, I received a round of applause.  I wish I could take more credit for a job well done, but I think they were just grateful I am of the bashful guppy type and not a long-winded, blow-hard politico. 
But being a big fish in a small pond has also led to swimming in the deep end.  I'm in Memphis for a conference.  I thought my Washington expertise prepared me for leading a small association's political efforts.  Wrong.  I have so much to learn.  I am filling my days with break-out sessions on coalition building, fundraising and ethics and filling my belly with lots of barbecue. 

It's also the longest I've been away from Bennett and I miss him terribly.  Irony of ironies, I missed Bennett's first time in the pool.  Like his momma, he took to it like a fish to water.

No comments:

Post a Comment