Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful

I am a worry wart. I stress the small stuff. I dwell on the past and wish I could go back and do things differently. This Thanksgiving I have too much to be thankful for to let anything rain on my parade. I have a healthy baby boy and I am one lucky mom. I know too many people want the job of being a mother and there are factors outside of their control that prevent them from doing so. As my baby sleeps by my side, I know that I have more to be thankful for than I could ever express. But it is worth a shot.

I am thankful for the people who read my silly blog. I needed an outlet outside of work and a way to keep in touch with my friends and family. I had no idea other people would find my dribble so entertaining. Thank you.

I am thankful for our neighbors. We have had people bring dinner, offer to walk Atticus, and people just drop in to see how I'm doing while Rocky's at work. In a city full of transplants with busy careers, I am thankful for finding a little slice of normal.

I am thankful for Ellen. At that time of day when I might really get stir crazy, she totally pulls through. However, I am not thankful for the test of the emergency broadcast system or the power company technician with the bad timing.

I am thankful for our friends. I have never felt so loved and cared for as I have over the past month. From bringing dinners, emailing just to check in, flowers, cards and gifts for Bennett. My cup runneth over.

I am thankful for Atticus. He has been so good with Bennett. We'll eventually have to do something to break his obsession with the pacifier, but at least he has been very gentle with the baby. And I think Atticus would say he is grateful for Bennett's very lickable feet.

I am thankful for the hours I get to spend with Bennett in the middle of the night when he is curled up in my neck falling asleep. His skin is so soft and he smells so good.

I am thankful for our parents. Rocky's mom will call just to check in when she gets home from work and my dad will send random texts for baby updates. They may be far away, but we are all compensating for the distance with high cell phone bills.

I am thankful for another of Bennett's nicknames, Benny and the Jets. It proves all systems are a go.

I am thankful for Rocky's new job. He was able to take two weeks off of work to get us all adjusted to being a family of three. He is also home at a reasonable hour, and can take his time getting to the office. It is such a blessing to have him rescue me at the end of a long day.

I am thankful for Rocky. He was always a good husband, but he has been such an amazing partner through these early weeks of parenthood. There is actually an equal division in labor in our house these days, or at least as even steven as they can be. He will wake up with Bennett when he won't go back to sleep after his 5 am feeding, takes over diaper changes when he's home, is so gentle with the baths, the wardrobe changes and giving him that signature come over. I don't know how I got so lucky.

I am so thankful for this feeling of love and good fortune. I have been given this amazing gift that has brought me this moment in my life that feels like things couldn't be any sweeter. I hope I don't take it for granted and wish it away when I am frustrated and tired. I am just thankful that I get to spend this holiday season surrounded by love, hope and sappiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment