Friday, May 10, 2013

Raising an Aspiring Foodie

Ok, so my child prefers hot dogs and grilled cheese over duck confit and banh mi. But we are getting a glimpse of the foodie he may become. He loves to chop vegetables, wash produce and grate cheese. He has an extensive collection of play food. Grocery shopping is a favorite activity, and when he sees a grown up book without pictures, he points and says "recipes." I would like to think we are on the right track with this one.

When we drove by the park several weeks ago and I explained that springtime was almost here, he asked, "Food trucks?" Yes, my little gourmand, springtime signals the return of the farmer's market and therefore food trucks. So, imagine his delight when the mall had a mechanical motorcycle, race car and food truck! My kid was in heaven.

We have a ways to go to get this kid on board with proper restaurant etiquette and exploring past the finger foods. But I know that I am doing at least one thing right, imposing my interests on my child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment