Friday, September 17, 2010

Flashback Friday: Prideful

I spent one summer interning for Congresswoman Betty McCollum in Washington and the following summer interning for her campaign in St. Paul. I helped to coordinate fundraisers, staffed her at community events, and updated a whole lot of spread sheets.

I have to admit though that the highlite of my summer was joining her for her appearances at the Minnesota Gay Pride Festival. That year Betty was the Grand Marshall. It is safe to say I had never experienced an event quite like it before. I walked the parade and handed out stickers as she waved and shook hands. There was tons of energy and they even seemed happy to be celebrating with a politician. I was so proud to be working with a woman who was getting such recognition from the crowd. Of course, it was interesting when I bumped into a former classmate from high school who was more than a little surprised to see me there.

This might be one of my all time favorite political photos. Shown above, former Minneapolis Mayor, R.T. Ryback, current Senator Amy Klobuchar, Congresswoman McCollum, and two "Jackie O's." Simply priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment