Tuesday, April 19, 2011

King in Shining Armor

You know you are off to a bad start when the baby needs a nap at 7:00 am. Bennett is on a new sleep schedule, or rather he is on a new awake schedule, up at 5:45 am to babble. He’s chipper, alert and looking for entertainment. The rest of the King household is paying the price, bitter angry and looking for caffeine. The sleep deprivation has finally caught up with me. I got to work this morning and promptly locked my keys in the car.

My phone was locked in the car. I feel naked without my phone. The battery was drained in minutes searching for a signal in the basement parking garage.

My wallet was locked in the car. I couldn’t meet Rocky at the house if I couldn’t pay a cab fare or buy a metro ticket.

My makeup was locked in the car. Babies who wake up before the sun rises do not give you time to put on makeup. I had to sit in a meeting with 5:45 am bags under my eyes.

My pump was locked in the car. Of course this happened the night Bennett didn’t wake up hungry in the middle of the night.

It couldn’t have come at a worse time for Rocky to drop what he was doing and drive home for the spare and drive downtown to rescue me. But he did.

Rocky, thank you for saving the day. You save my day every day. You save me from boredom. You save me from eating cereal three times a day. You save me from leaving the house with my fly undone. You save me from talking to the dog about the Real Housewives franchise. You save me from ironing my own shirts. You save me from learning how to use the new coffee maker. You save me when I lock the keys in the car. You save me from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment