Friday, October 21, 2011

Flashback Friday: Falling for a Boy

We are entering birthday week in the King House.  Brace yourself for some sappiness ahead. 

I remember last fall walking Atticus and admiring the trees in our neighborhood.  The leaves were starting to fall and our street was full of amazing color.  I was very pregnant and very emotional.  I was trying to take it all in and I remember getting particularly sentimental.  I couldn't help but think that every year, when the leaves start to change, we'll think of Bennett and his birthday. 

Sure enough, oranges, golds and some reds started popping up in our new neighborhood.  The Tennessee hills are full of color.  I'm brought back to those walks last fall when my life was entirely different.  I was a big city girl.  I had a tight knit group of friends.  I was a wife, not a mom.  I was afraid of the breastfeeding challenges and millions of things that could go wrong with the birth and his health and the sleepless nights ahead.   

Thinking of the lifetime of fall seasons ahead we'll remember those days before he was born and our eager anticipation and our nerves.  And we'll remember how exciting his first birthday was and how much we are looking forward to his upcoming festivities.  Those leaves will forever be a part of his birthday memory past and future.  This is just the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment