Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Last mother's day, I was still in awe of the whole motherhood thing.   It's funny how much things can change in a year.  The days don't seem as hard, the nights don't seem as long, and the months and years are getting shorter.  Time is flashing before my eyes as my fears come true; my son doesn't need me to identify every object.  He does it for me.  Dog. Bird. Ball.  But as much as I was afraid of the growing and changing, that also means I'm getting a handle on being a mom. 

Sure, I still feel like I flounder some days.  Bennett gets a bad report from school.  No, he isn't forgetting to turn in his homework, but he is a bit of a bully from time to time.  Being a toddler is hard, you have feelings and frustrations but you can't express yourself other than getting a little physical.  We're working on it.  Then, there are those mornings when nothing we do is right.  We fight over getting dressed, putting on our shoes letting go of the dog.  I can't help but feel like I am no good at this.

Days like today remind me that there are good days and bad days, but I'm doing alright as a mom.  On Friday, I got the sweetest message from school.  His teacher got some bad news and she couldn't help but getting teared up in front of Bennett.  He walked over to her, brushed the tear off her cheek and said, "sad."  My child with his limited vocabulary knew exactly what that tear meant.  I love this little boy who is growing to be kind and thoughtful and sweet.  I am just so proud to be his mommy.

I'm happy to celebrate this day of mothering and all the moms that showed me how the job is done.  My mom taught me not to sweat the small stuff.  It isn't the stubborness or quirkiness that define a child or his mother.  It is about the big picture, the kindness, the empathy and the compassion of who that child will grow into.  My mother-in-law has shown that it's possible to raise a boy to put others first, that for better or for worst, it's alright to show some emotion.  Because I know, this kid just might take after his momma, wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Or maybe just underwear on his head.  I'm definitely doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment