Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Close to Home

I've always sorta kinda liked Dierks Bentley music.  However, I have found the most played songs on the radio to be a little corny, cliche, and predictable.  But his newest hit, Home, has really resonated with me.  It reminds me of our bumpy road back to Nashville.

It’s been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home
 
 
It’s been a long hard ride
And I won’t lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

Ok, so maybe it's still a little corny, but I like it.  In fact, I was singing it on my ride home from work yesterday.  My windows were rolled down, the sun was shining; the air smelled like spring.   I was excited to be picking up Bennett a little early so that we could make a pit-stop at the park. 

He was toddling around the playground, sliding down the stairs and climbing up the slide.  On the other side of the jungle gym, I noticed a guy with a familiar face.  He was chasing a toddler not much younger than Bennett.  Could it be?  Nah, he looked nothing like this.

His hair was clipped short and his curls were gone.  He was wearing a hipster hoody, slouchy shorts exposing his white boy chicken legs.  Perhaps?  Nope...definitely him.  I watched him out of the corner of my eye and he definitely caught me staring.  What was I thinking?

Other than a potential Zack Brown run-in, I haven't had any confirmed celebrity sightings in quite some time.  Besides, I have a track record for saying ridiculous things when I meet A-listers.  I once told Giada that my favorite recipe was her secret to homemade donuts (aka deep-fried Pillsbury biscuits).  When I met Senator Ted Kennedy at the Capitol all I could muster was, "umm, hi."  My words never flow free or easy.

Our kids crawled through tunnels and up stairs and down slides side by side.  We shuffled past one another saying excuse me and awkwardly laughing when they tumbled.  Either he got tired of the stranger pretending like she didn't know him, or he just had a lot of leavin' left to do, but he took his girls and left.  It was Bennett's first brush with fame, and he hardly noticed.  Am I the only one who wants to chase celebrities down the road I go?


No comments:

Post a Comment