Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Urban Chicken Movement

Back in January, the Nashville City Council passed an ordinance officially allowing homeowners to raise chickens in metro backyards. Six hens are allowed per owner. Roosters are prohibited. Owners are required to maintain predator-proof coops. They must abide by noise and nuisance rules and pay a fee.

Nashville hipsters rejoiced, local, sustainable agriculture in their own backyard! I couldn't help but think this was a major step backward in shedding our backwoods hillbilly reputation, but if we can get some fresh eggs out of the deal, maybe I won't complain. Then, we bought a house in hipster central.  Meet our new neighbors.

There are six of them.  Apparently, they do not always stay in their predator-proof coops.  Bennett of course loves them.  We've met a few times already but I'm not sure I'm a fan.  I do like me some fried chicken though.

No comments:

Post a Comment