Friday, March 25, 2011

Flashback Friday:The Day the Vera Died

A long, long time ago, Rocky and I were invited to a black-tie wedding one Valentine’s Day. It was a first for both of us. I debated for weeks over cocktail or evening gown options and desperately tried to borrow a dress from a friend. After all, I knew a black-tie wedding worthy dress would undoubtedly only be worn once.

I decided to bite the bullet and go shopping for something appropriate. When I showed up at Nieman Marcus, I was surprised to find racks and racks of discounted dresses. There were sequins and spaghetti straps, sheaths and ball gowns, Mizrahi, Meister and Mischka. When I had been begrudging the timing of my coworkers nuptials, I should have been thanking him. I had hit the post-inaugural ball discount dress jackpot!

I finally settled on a blueberry-colored Vera Wang number. I had never owned something so fancy and it just so happened to fit me like a glove. The dress made me feel like a movie star. Even though it was already the deal of the century, I vowed to find other opportunities to wear it.
When we got home from a wonderful evening of dinner and dancing, Atticus ran across our living room and jumped into my lap. He was so excited, he couldn’t contain himself...he peed all over the Vera. He left behind a lovely stain straight down the front of the skirt.  The dry cleaner could save the silk, but he couldn’t save the sequins. My dream dress was a one hit wonder after all.  At least she went out with a bang!
Bennett is apalled at your behavior, Atticus.
We were singing bye bye Miss Blueberry Pie...

No comments:

Post a Comment