Thursday, March 24, 2011

Week In Review

I could have had a fresh post for each day this week, but now you just get one giant brain dump. Maybe if I placate you with pictures, you will forgive my distracted behavior and lazy attitude?

Laziness is not an acceptable excuse!
 My cousin Sean is back on American soil, safe and sound. There is a rumor going around that he’ll be in town next week. I’m hoping we’ll get the chance to introduce him to Bennett, but he may be a bit busy hanging out with another B, as in Mr. President. Call me cuz, if you can’t find a date!

Sean, Bennett can't wait to meet you!
Bennett’s gummy smile is a little less gummy these days. He has not one but two teeth! Thankfully, he hasn’t learned how to use them just yet…
Please don't make me smile!
Thanks to Congressional recess, my boss recommended I take a mental health day. I got to spend a random Wednesday playing with Bennett. Staying home with an almost-five month old is entirely different than staying home during that 0-3 month newborn phase. We read books, played on the floor, ran an errand while the boy was awake and alert, even napped together. It is a good thing I don’t get the opportunity more often, it really made it hard to come back to work today.
Mom, don't leave me!
I love to read, but as soon as I got pregnant I lost my ability to concentrate and everything became “babies, babies, babies.” So, recently finishing the five hundred page book, South of Broad, by Pat Conroy, felt like quite the accomplishment. The story follows the life of a group of friends who survive disease, despair and mass destruction. You know, your typical Southern novel. The story may have required a Kleenex or a tranquilizer, but the language he used was so beautiful. The words he used to describe each detail made it quite apparent he loves Charleston and the South and it reminded me just how much I love it too.
I don't think they dress like this down South, at least not in March!
After spending a couple of weeks pretending like I didn’t get the email, I accepted Vanderbilt Career Center’s invitation to speak at a career forum. They asked me to speak about my experiences as a lobbyist. I won’t ask you to contain your laughter, because I couldn’t contain myself either. Much to my surprise, it went smashingly. Sure, it was a little awkward knowing that my mug shot was projected on an eight foot screen in front of a room of Vandy overachievers. But as it turns out, I had something to say. It had been so long since I felt like I knew what I was talking about. I’m so thankful Anne talked me into doing it. When it was over, I felt like I could lasso the moon.
Catching a Bennett is better than lasso-ing the moon any day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you did the career forum! I hope it boosted your confidence -- I knew you would be awesome at it. :)

    ReplyDelete