Sunday, June 16, 2013

Brave

“There are many different kinds of bravery. There’s the bravery of thinking of others before one’s self. Now, your father has never brandished a sword nor fired a pistol, thank heavens. But he has made many sacrifices for his family, and put away many dreams.”
“Where did he put them?”
“He put them in a drawer. And sometimes, late at night, we take them out and admire them. But it gets harder and harder to close the drawer… He does. And that is why he is brave.”
Conversation between Mrs. Darling and Michael, from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
I read this somewhere on the internets this week and found it particularly fitting this Father's Day weekend.
I am not sure I can capture anything more eloquent or unique on this day that I haven't already said, but the men in my life have made some incredible sacrifices for me and my family. It's a wonderful reminder that I am so darn lucky to have some incredible men in my life and in Bennett's.

Rocky made a major sacrifice for me and our boy when he left his career in Virginia and took a giant leap of faith to embark on our Tennessee chapter. He left a job and friends he loved for a year of uncertainty and stress, but man has he come out on top. Rocky is the hardest working dad out there. He truly is. He puts in long hours at the office to provide for our family that will eventually open big doors for our son. Then, he rushes home to help tuck that sweet child into bed. When the weekend finally arrives, he sweats in the yard and prays with us on Sunday. He makes lunches, walks the dog, does the grocery shopping, cooks, folds laundry and takes me to the beach. I am grateful he was brave enough to make one giant sacrifice two years ago and thankful for all the little sacrifices he makes for us every single day.

I think Rocky learned this work ethic from the best example a son could witness. Papa Rock was brave enough to want little Rock to have opportunities that extended beyond the farm, beyond the cove and beyond county lines if that's where his dreams would take him. I'm not sure he was willing to sacrifice his son to a Yankee, but that's a sacrifice Papa Rock made for me. He helped pave a path that eventually led his son to law school, but he's showing his grandson a path that could take him one way to the ivy towers of Princeton, Harvard and Yale, but perhaps also the road less traveled, back to farm and whatever it is that makes him happy. I have no doubt he would make any sacrifice for our little boy.

Then there is the man that has been making sacrifices since my beginning. My dad gave up exotic vacations and fancy houses so I could go to a good school. He gave up his Tuesday nights for twelve years to chauffeur me back and forth to dance class. Dad was brave enough to chaperon Girl Scout trips and learn to style a little girl's hair. It's always been the big things and the little things, even today. He rescues me when I get stuck in traffic on my way to daycare. He walks Atticus while I'm at work. He checks my mail and makes friends with my neighbors. He hugs me when I am sad and is my cheerleader when things are tough.


The fathers in my life don't brandish swords or fire pistols, but they fight the bears and stand up to dinosaurs, both real and imaginary. They have all made sacrifices to build this life for me and today I salute them and the many men are doing the same for you. We love you. Happy Father's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment